Wednesday, May 23, 2018

A Homebrewing Perspective on Mash pH III: Distilled-Water pH and Buffering Capacity of the Grist

Yeah, it's about time for another post!

A colleague and I recently completed a study relevant to mash pH. Specifically, we have determined the distilled-water pH and buffering capacity of a number of grains used in brewing. We have not only collected new data -- mostly on noncrystal specialty malts and flaked grains -- but have also analyzed all the data that we could find in the literature and on the web.

Our results are in this paper:  A Homebrewing Perspective on Mash pH III:  Distilled-Water pH and Buffering Capacity of the Grist.

I hope you enjoy the read!  Cheers!




13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hope you do more research to verify how we could maybe apply this to predict mash pH

      Delete
    2. We are currently thinking about experiments towards this end.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently found out about your latest work with pHi and grain buffering in the mash. I look forward to digesting and applying your latest information to future mash prediction calculations. Thank you again for your continued commitment in this area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you find it interesting. Cheers!

      Delete
    2. Hi Mark. I am currently working on a full featured recipe building spreadsheet that incorporates some of MpH 3.0 calculations. Currently you have grain categorized into 4 categories 'Base', 'Crystal', 'Roast' and 'Wheat'. Would you be open to increasing the number of categories to include 'Mild Roast', 'Dark Roast' and 'Flaked Wheat'? If so I will include appropriate attestation for your work in any and all software distributions.

      Delete
    3. Vince, I'm not sure exactly what you're asking. Sure, you can use any of what I've done to build software that you want to use, or even sell. I only ask that you give credit where credit is due. As for adding different kinds of malts, go for it if you wish. I'll say that I hope to develop a new version of MpH based on our latest measurements, but I cannot say when I might get that done. Probably not for a while yet. The new version will be based on entirely different modeling of mash pH though. Cheers!

      Delete
    4. Thank you Mark. As always I look forward to your next MpH release.

      Delete
    5. Hi Vince. It's finally released! Cheers!

      Delete
  5. Thanks Mark! I've been getting familiar with MpH v4 for a little over a week now. Your latest version is the best implementation of 'Generation II' mash pH prediction software available. And definitely well worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete